Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The dentist


Last week I took the LG to the dentist. As you can probably understand, I don't have any pictures of the actual event. This is the after effect though. I had scheduled an appointment for him about a year ago, right after he started getting teeth. The nice pediatric dentist called me herself to see if he really needed to come in.

The conversation went something like this:
"So, how many teeth does he have?"
"Oh, four."
"Yeah, he probably doesn't need to see my just yet".

But, they called last week and said 18 months + was a good time for kids to come in. So, we went on our adventure. I tried to make it really fun. We got breakfast at a diner close by and talked the whole time about how neat it is to see the dentist, and how we open our mouth really wide when we see her.

The dentist couldn't have been nicer. The whole office had toys and looked like lots of fun, until she tried to look in his mouth. I've stuck my hand in there a couple of times to feel for molars and I've almost lost a finger. That kiddo has quite the bite. Lucky for our sweet dentist though, he screamed so loud during the whole thing that his mouth was wide open for her. She didn't even try to clean them, just made sure they were all in the right spots and no cavities.

Luckily, the LG recovered pretty quickly. She gave him a handful of new toothbrushes and fun toys to take home and he was happy. She gave him a clean bill of health and said that his bite looks good, even with his bottle habit. (I know, I know, they're out of here when he turns two). He passed out as soon as I put him in the stroller for our walk home. So glad we don't have to do that again for a while!

No comments: